Tuesday, June 24, 2008

ODDS AND ENDS, HODGEPODGE, AND POTPOURRI

I have to admit, it was hard to keep quiet for 89 days about the outcome of our trip to California. As difficult as it was for me and my wife, though, I can only imagine how it must have been for my daughter. She even had TEACHERS playfully try to get her to divulge the results. But she stood strong, and the 89 days were finally over and it was time to see it on TV. Ironically, seeing it televised somehow made it all seem more "real" than it had really being there.

Here's a bit about how we watched each episode:

Monday - 200 cheering church-members gathered in our former sanctuary to watch on the big (25 feet by 25 feet) screen. It was an awesome evening - lots of fun to share the experience with members of my "church family." We had snacks in the fellowship hall afterward.

Tuesday - we watched at home with friends in HDTV! Yes, I finally broke down and bought a big-screen ("only" 42") TV with the anticipated Jeopardy! money (no payments or interest for six months!)

Wednesday - had to watch on TIVO because the kids had a swim meet. Life goes on, even for the Jeopardy! champion. As it should.

Thursday - watched in a hotel room at our Synod (church district that includes Maryland and Delaware) Assembly in Gettysburg, PA. Lots of fun watching the reaction as victory was pulled from the jaws of defeat in FJ.

Friday - also watched in a hotel room at the Synod Assembly. The loss took all the air out of the room for a moment - funny, folks were expecting me to win. But then there was much congratulation.


All week, I received e-mails from Lutherans around the country rooting me on. Saying my church name on Monday allowed folks to find the church website, and my e-mail address. It was like I was playing for the "Lutheran Team" or something, but actually very cool.


I also received e-mails, and a phone call, from folks I hadn't seen in a very long time. The reconnection was a nice fringe-benefit of the experience.


I've been recognized in the grocery store, at a swim meet, at two hospitals (making pastoral visits) and at a minor league baseball game (Go Aberdeen Ironbirds!). "Aren't you Pastor Dave, the guy on Jeopardy!?" That's been pretty cool, and I think it's great that folks remember I'm a pastor - I do admit feeling good about how I did and it is sort of a rush to be recognized, but hopefully I have glorified God in this experience.


There have also been four articles in the Aegis, Harford County's paper. One was about the upcoming appearance, then one on Wednesday of the run (Pastor Wins Two on Jeopardy), one on Friday (Pastor Wins Fourth - the subhead was something about "more luck than skill" - thanks a lot - what about the skillful wager?) and one that will be in tomorrow's paper as of this writing.


I was also interviewed on the Baltimore Christian radio station (WRBS). It was a hoot being a guest on their morning show, then hearing people call in to talk about what gameshow they'd like to be on.

As for THE MONEY - it takes 3-4 months after the airdate for J! to pay. Once the winnings do arrive, the first check we will write will be 10% to the church. Now, we have already purchased the Plasma TV I promised to buy in the Philadelphia audition, but there's no interest or payments for 4 months. I'm also going to buy my wife the ring I wanted to buy her when we were engaged 13 years ago. I apparently promised my son an X-Box 360 if I won more than $50,000 (of course thinking that was highly unlikely), so there's that too. Speaking of my son, he'll be starting college next year and is starting to drive this summer. My daughter will be attending a national Youth Drama competition next year. All in all, the money will be quite a blessing for us and allow us also a nice cushion for emergencies - and perhaps downpayment on a car since both of ours have 150K+ miles.

Finally, the exhortation. If you've ever thought about trying out for a gameshow, DO IT. You don't have anything to lose by going for it. Remember, I auditioned four times for Millionaire before I got on and twice for Jeopardy. If I had given up, I wouldn't have the experiences (or the $200K+).

In fact, that applies to any dream you might have - GO FOR IT! Take a chance, risk a little, and it may just be that the journey leads to your dream. If not, at least you will have journeyed.

Corny? Yep, but I mean it.

God's blessings on your journey, and God's peace in your life.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor-

Thanks for the fine blog! I auditioned for the show at the end of last month and have been prepping since then. I can't tell you just how great it is to have an entertaining and informative account like yours to take some of the terror out of the prospect of appearing on the show. I should add that I've been watching JEOPARDY! religiously of late (if you'll pardon the expression) and thought you made an impressive and engaging champ. Kudos!