Monday, June 16, 2008

THE CALL, Part Two

This brings us back to where I began this saga. It was the night before the snow day and I had tried to return Maggie's call, but had gotten her voice mail. It was then about 8pm and I figured I couldn't call until at least noon the next day since she was on Pacific Time. Sixteen hours. Sixteen hours before I would find out why she was calling. Here's what was going on in my head for those 16 hours:

She's calling to invite me on the show!
Maybe. But 21 months after the audition? There must be some other reason she's calling.
She's calling to invite me on the show!
Maybe.

There was sort of a loop like that going on. Of course when I called about 12:30 the next afternoon I got her voice mail again.

Then I got involved in making cookies. You see, my daughter and I have this tradition that we make cookies on every snow day. Well, of course we were out of eggs and I had to make the short trek to the store to get some. And of course Maggie called back during the 20 minutes I was away. And of course I got her voice mail again when I called her back. Argggh!

Finally, about 3:30 on Friday, February 22, 2008, Maggie called as I was pulling a batch of tollhouse cookies out of the oven. She asked me several eligibility questions (have I been on any game shows in the past year, do I know anyone who works for the show, am I running for political office, am I a criminal, etc.), then she said the Magic Words: "We'd like you to come out to California and tape an episode of Jeopardy!"

Woo hoo!

Maggie explained that they were now keeping people in the pool for up to 24 months.

Well thank you for that!

The tape dates were March 18 and 19. They tape five shows a day and invite 12 people, so 10 get on the first day and two are held over until day 2. She gave me some instructions about what to wear and what to bring and where to stay (Jeopardy! doesn't pay your way to California, but they do have a deal with the Culver City Radison that includes a good rate and a contestant shuttle to the studio. And, even if you finish 3rd you get $1000 - $2000 for 2nd - so most of your expenses are ultimately covered).

There was only one problem - March 18 and 19 were during Holy Week, one of the busiest times of the Church Year. I'd have to check with my boss, the Senior Pastor, but I thought I could make it work. The 18th was Tuesday - I could fly out after Palm Sunday services on the 16th, and fly back overnight on the 19th, which would get me back in time to preach as scheduled at the Maundy Thursday morning service on the 20th. I could write my sermon on the plane. Yeah, that would work.

Thankfully, my plan was approved. I was on my way to California.

Just 23 days to prepare!

To the next installment - 23 DAYS

No comments: