Saturday, June 21, 2008

GAME FIVE - Friday, June 20

You can find the clues, correct responses, and results of the game HERE.

I have very little recollection of the pre-game for this game. There's nothing in my admittedly sketchy notes from the time. I do remember that the grilled-cheese sandwich issue had resolved itself. But, I was feeling quite drained. It was the fifth game of the day, and if you remember way back to my post about going to the studio I hadn't slept a whole lot the night before. All the adrenaline of the first games had been spent.

Watching last night, I was surprised the game was as close as it was for as long as it was. I had been worried about Friday because my recollection was that Doris had blown me out. But if I hadn't made that silly Jack London/Ernest Hemmingway error (boy, I must have been tired - Nick Adams = Jack London????), the 4000 swing (no -2000 for missing, +2000 for getting it), would've left me in another 2/3 situation at the end of the game. Of course, if Doris still made the shut-out wager, I still would've lost.

I went all-in on the Final thinking if was going out, I was going to go out with a bang. Also, I had a glimmer of hope that Doris, having seen me wager small in the previous game, might have wagered small herself. That of course would have been more likely in a 2/3 game. But Doris played it perfectly and got the win she deserved.

Whether I was tired or not, Doris certainly earned the win. She was a fantastic player and will be, I think, tough to beat after a good night's sleep (next week's shows were taped on the next day, Wed. 3/19). She was on fire with the buzzer and displayed a tremendous range of knowledge. My wife and daughter - as well as the family that went with us - still talk about how amazed they were that Doris knew so much about Sumo wrestling.

Which reminds me, near the top of my "times I'm glad I didn't buzz in list" is the clue about the part of the body that's out of bounds for sumo wrestlers means forbidden this. America - especially my church - didn't want to hear what I was thinking "this" was.

That is an example of the way my brain was (not) working in this game. I CANNOT believe I missed Iota - I had to learn New Testament (Koine) Greek in seminary - but I remember trying to think of a four-letter word with one VOWEL, not one CONSONANT as the clue specified. Yeah, I was tired.

I now have have even more respect now for Ken Jennings and anyone else who has played Monday-Friday on Jeopardy. And I have especially more respect for folks like Mike Dupee who began their run on Monday and won all 5 in a week - it is, I would guess, an advantage in some ways to get started mid-week. I know that helped me on Millionaire - I was the very last contestant on a taping day, only answered four questions before time ran out, but slept much better that night and came back more refreshed the next day both from the rest AND knowing what to expect.

I want to emphasize - none of that is an excuse for losing to Doris. She is one heck of a player.

After the post-game chat with Alex, I went back to the Green Room to collect my garment bag. I made sure to thank all the Contestant Coordinators I could find - they are really awesome folks who are great at what they do.

I couldn't resist asking one of the coordinators - Robert - about the TOC. "Maggie said that if we win more than 3 games we're eligible for the TOC. Should I be thinking about that?"

"Stay in touch," Robert replied.

I am thrilled to even have a chance of being in the TOC. That would just exceed my already surpassed expectations. And it'll give me more to add to this blog.

So stay in touch.

It's been a great ride so far. Thanks for sharing it with me.

To the Next Installment - GOING HOME

1 comment:

Renee @ AddMoreChocolate said...

Thank you for sharing it with us!

I hope you keep your blog going!

-Renee