Monday, June 16, 2008

23 Days

Jeopardy! clues can be about anything in the world. So, the question for me was, "How do you learn everything in the world in 23 days?"

Well, of course you can't. I had to prioritize. Between work and family and eating and sleep, I had to maximize my study time. I went back to watching Tivo'd Jeopardy! and tracking my Coryats. With the GSN repeats in the afternoon, that was an hour a day of practice with the remote. I tried not to be angry all over again at the people who had stolen my laptop (and all the electronic flash cards I'd made); after all, I'm in the forgiveness business.

I put MemoryLifter on my new computer and made new flash cards of all the most important stuff - world capitals, Shakespeare's Plays, Presidents and Vice Presidents, State Nicknames, and so on. And I tried not to obsess with studying - after all Brad Rutter (who beat Ken Jennings in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions) had said that he had prepared not so much by studying, but by "a lifetime of paying attention." And I'd been paying attention, right? That's how I'd managed to get this far, right?

Of course, I must not have been paying attention when the capital of Burkina-Faso was discussed (It's Ouagadougou, by the way).

During those 23 days, I couldn't watch TV without seeing potential Jeopardy! clues everywhere. They sometimes ask about slogans, so even commercials were suddenly important. I'd be channel surfing and come across a movie on Turner Classic Movies and worry because I couldn't remember the director.

I don't want to give the idea that the 23 days were all stressful - I was actually very excited about the trip to California. After much discussion, it was decided that my wife and daughter would accompany me on the adventure (my son didn't want to get behind in a couple of his tougher high school classes, a decision I very much respected). I was resistant at first because there was certainly no guarantee I'd win enough money to cover expenses beyond my own, but my wife convinced me this was a one-time opportunity and she wanted to share it with me. I'm glad she did - the whole experience was much more fun to share than it would have been if I'd stuck to my original plan of going alone and being "focused."

Making the plane and hotel reservations made the whole thing seem more real. So did telling people - "By the way, I'm going to be on Jeopardy!"

I was surprised to be consistently asked if "they give you a book to study." Nope. That would sure make things easier, though.

The 23 days actually passed very quickly, and then it was Palm Sunday and church services were done and we were on our way to the airport. On our way to California. On our way to Jeopardy!

To the Next Installment - TO CALIFORNIA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"After all, I'm in the forgiveness business" I love that line!